This is a question put to us quite often. At ABS we favour weight training in our personal training gyms. Below we have given a few reasons why weight training, particularly for women is good when they are working out in the gym.
1. Weight training is key for fat loss as it increases lean muscle tissue. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue where carbohydrates and body fat are burned and used as energy. The more muscle you have the higher your basal metabolic rate meaning you will burn more calories in a day.
2. It has a positive impact on bone density. Resistance training increases bone density therefore decreases the chance of developing osteoporosis later in life.
3. Better for body composition. Weight training gives a more toned and sculpted physique. It also improves abilities in other sports including power, speed, agility, endurance and muscle mass.
4. Increases strength and increases endorphins. Every time you train with weights you become stronger which is really motivating.
5. Lifting weights does not mean you will become bulky. Testosterone is the main hormone that builds muscle, women do not produce enough testosterone to build large amounts of muscle tissue. On average testosterone levels in men are seven to eight times as great as women.
For more information weight training or on any of our personal training programmes, get in touch with our team. If you would like to book a free consultation with us, you can do so by using our online booking form.
ABS has three gyms across the North West. For more information on each, click below.
To keep up to date with all the latest news from ABS via our Instagram account.